Winifred and Alison McKenzie along with Annabel Kidston, members of the Artists’ Printmakers, proposed to teach classes in drawing and engraving to allied servicemen stationed in St Andrews during the Second World War (1939 – 1945). In December 1940, they put up notices about the classes in the YMCA and the various services canteens. The initial response was overwhelming. Although none of the men had done engraving before, many proved to have considerable artistic gifts.
Winifred and Annabel mounted their students’ work and kept a record of all they created. This helped in organising exhibitions at which the work often sold. There were a number of exhibitions in Lower College Hall and one was also held in the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh in 1943. A notice in the Evening Dispatch commented on the vivacity of the work and ‘the remarkably high standard of execution’.
The museum is fortunate to hold a collection of 8 wood engravings created by the allied soldiers, including ‘View of St Andrews’ by J Woloszczak.